The South Carolina Baptist Convention established the Greenville Baptist Female College in 1854 in Greenville.
The school was incorporated as a separate institution in 1908 under the name Greenville Female College. The name was changed to Greenville Woman's College (GWC) in 1912.
Due to financial difficulties brought about by the Depression, the GWC trustees asked Furman University to take over the management of the school in 1932. The first coordinated activity was a joint commencement in June of that year. The next fall, 70 women began attending classes on the men’s campus, with specially chartered taxi cabs providing rides between the campuses. By March of 1933 the Woman’s College trustees asked Furman to assume full control, with one board and one president of both institutions.
The South Carolina Baptist Convention formally approved the total merger in 1937. Greenville Woman's College officially ceased to exist in January 1938 when it became the Woman's College of Furman University. The two student bodies remained separate until 1961 when Furman moved to its new campus north of Greenville.