Skip to main content
Furman University home page

University Archives

Collection Overview

The Furman University Archives was formally established in 1967 as the official repository for non-current University records having permanent historical, legal, fiscal, or administrative value. The primary mission of the Archives is to identify, collect, preserve, arrange, and describe records documenting the history of administrative and academic units and the activities of Furman University faculty, staff, students and alumni.

While most of the material originates from the current campus beginning in 1958, the Archives also serves as the repository for records of the previous college locations (Edgefield, High Hills, Winnsboro), the downtown campus (1850-1957), the Greenville Woman’s College (1854-1938) and the Woman's College, Furman University (1938-1961).

Restrictions on Use: While the University Archives makes every effort to make materials available to researchers, it should be noted that many records and collections are closed to users outside the originating office.