James F. Gallivan (1863-1936) founded Gallivan Building Company in Greenville, S.C. in 1904. A few of the buildings in and around Greenville built by the company include the Monaghan Cotton Mills, the Simpsonville Cotton Mills, the Victor Cotton Mills, the Greer Manufacturing Company, Westervelt Mills Arcadia Cotton Mills and the Southern Bleachery. The company constructed Manly Athletic Field, reconstructed the James C. Furman Hall of Science after the 1921 fire, and constructed the buildings at Camp Sevier.
After Gallivan’s death in 1936, his son, Harold F. Gallivan (1897-1937), took over running the company, and the name changed to Gallivan Construction Company. Harold F. Gallivan died in 1937.