Most materials in Special Collections and Archives must be retrieved
from the Symmes Archives by a staff member and all materials
must be used in the William Gilmore Simms Research Room.
- Please sign-in at the front desk.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Simms Research Room.
- Patrons using manuscript materials must leave coats, bags, and books in the lockers provided.
- Use of ink is prohibited; please use pencils for taking notes.
- To preserve the materials for future use, do not mark, clip or fold the pages.
- Keep all records in their present arrangement. Use only one folder at a time, keep individual sheets in order.
- Photocopying of materials will be done by staff only, as time permits. Patrons must pay for photocopies. In some cases, we will not be able to photocopy items because of their physical condition, because of copyright law, or because of donor restrictions.
- Special Collections and Archives must respect legal, donor, and institutional obligations regarding confidentiality, privacy, and the physical security of its collections and as a result, may restrict access to all or part of any collection.
- Use of the guest computers is subject to compliance with University regulations and all applicable laws (See Library's Computer Access Policy). Furman does not offer wireless access to non-Furman visitors. Visitors must sign in at the Special Collections and Archives Reception Desk for a temporary log-in. Valid photo identification is required.