Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Start here when you are looking for interdisciplinary content or aren't sure where to start. These databases will cover a wide range of subjects, including peer-reviewed journal articles, news, and magazine articles.
Academic Search Premier
Academic Search Premier is an interdisciplinary database, covering a broad range of subjects. It contains indexing for 8,172 publications, with full text for nearly 4,700 of those titles.
Readers’ Guide Full Text
Delivers comprehensive indexing of the most popular and important periodicals published, spanning from 1983 to the present.
Check here for authority information (author, publishing) and info on peer-review!
Provides detailed information on more than 300,000 periodicals (also called serials) of all types, including scholarly/trade/popular, peer-review status, and indexing.
How do I get the full text of an article from a database?
Full-text articles are available online and in print. Here are the various ways to get to full text articles available from the Furman Libraries.
- If you are looking at the article citation in a database, look for a PDF or HTML icon. Clicking on the PDF or HTML icon will give you the full text of the article.
- If you don't see a PDF or HTML icon, then clicking on the FUll Text icon will automatically start the search process.
- If the full text is available online, you will be provided with a link to the correct database. Often this will take you directly to the article.
- If there is no online option, check to see if we have the journal in print through the catalog. If we do, just note the location details, then go forth and copy!
- If we don't have it online or in print, will get a copy from another library. Clicking this link will populate a request form with the citation information for this article once you login to your account.Interlibrary Loan
These databases are specific to their discipline. The more specific you can be, the better.
Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text
This database provides indexing and abstracts for over 400 publications on television and film, as well as full text for more than 150 journals and books. In addition, Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text includes Variety movie reviews from 1914 to present and over 36,300 images from the MPTV Image Archive.
The MLA International Bibliography, produced by the Modern Language Association of America, consists of bibliographic records pertaining to literature, language, linguistics, and folklore, and includes coverage from 1963 to the present. The MLA International Bibliography provides access to scholarly research in over 3,000 journals and series. It also covers relevant monographs, working papers, proceedings, bibliographies, and other formats.
Humanities Full Text
H.W. Wilson's Humanities databases cover nearly 400 English language periodicals in the diverse subject areas of the humanities. Among the disciplines included are literature and language, history, philosophy, archaeology, classical studies, folklore, gender studies, performing arts, history, religion and theology.
The Philosopher's Index provides indexing and abstracts from books and journals of philosophy and related fields. It covers the areas of ethics, aesthetics, social philosophy, political philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysic logic as well as material on the philosophy of law, religion, science, history, education, and language.
Women’s Studies International
Covers the core disciplines in Women’s Studies to the latest scholarship in feminist research.
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
Provides searching of the international literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration / policy.