1. In a browser, search for an eBook in the Furman library catalog.
2. Click on the link provided under “Available Online.” This will open the eBook record where you can look at the contents and even read the book online for a few minutes. After a set amount of time, it will require you to download the eBook.
. Some eBooks will allow full access to the title at this point, including full chapter PDFs. For all publishers, if you only require a one-time use of the book without printing, you should be able to view the book online. Once you’ve clicked on the link, simply select “Read Online.”
4. For some publishers, the browsing period will expire. If you would like to continue using the book, you should be able to create a loan by clicking Yes on the window that will pop up. Once you have “created a loan,” it will remain open in the browser for up to 24 hours, when the loan will automatically expire.
5. If you would like to refer to a book more than once, or if you need functionality such as printing, you will need to create an account and download the title for EBL titles.
6. First you will need to have Bluefire Reader version 1.2 or higher on your iOS device. Bluefire Reader is a free application that can be found on the Apple App Store.
7. Create an Adobe account on adobe.com, or associate your Bluefire Reader app with a preexisting Adobe account. (This account does not need to be with your Furman e-mail address.)
8. Click on download to expand the download menu.
9. Select number of days (1 or 7 in most cases) you wish to “check out” the book. In some instances, you will be able to choose between PDF and ePUB; sometimes only one option will display. Both should work with Bluefire Reader.
10. Click on download. eBook should open Bluefire Reader and start downloading immediately.
11. After eBook has expired, Bluefire Reader will not let you access the book. You may download it again from the catalog.
For more information on what you can do with the eBook once you have it downloaded, please see our eBook Behavior Spreadsheet.