Hours: 4-8 hours/week in the late afternoon and evening with 1-3 weekend shifts per month.
Pay: $7.25 per hour
What is an Outreach Student Assistant?
Library Outreach Student Assistants primarily work at the Research Assistance Desk to provide information and research assistance to library users via chat/text, phone, or in person. They help students, faculty, and community members use our databases, conduct searches, cite sources, and provide support in other aspects of the research process. They help people locate physical materials, such as books, in the library, and access digital materials such as journal articles. Additionally, they provide basic technology support for printing, microfilm, and other needs.
- Experience in academic research e.g. an FYW class.
- Willingness to learn to use library databases and research assistance techniques.
- Good verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work with students from varied backgrounds.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to use web browsers.
- A desire to work in the library!
- Ability to work remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Attend paid mandatory training sessions to learn the skills and knowledge necessary to be effective in their role.
- Act in a welcoming and approachable manner while working the desk/chat.
- Use active listening skills to insure they understand user requests/questions.
- Refer patrons to other departments, individuals, or resources when necessary.
- Familiarize themselves with the various databases the library has to offer through regular exploration activities assigned by their supervisor.
- Learn to locate examples and explain how to cite various sources in APA, MLA, Chicago and other citation styles.
- Log all interactions in the library’s RefAnalytics program for collecting data on research questions.
- Provide directions within the building and at branch libraries.
- Help patrons use the library website.
- Train in the Library of Congress classification system and learn how to locate physical materials.
- Assist with the creation of library displays
- Staff the Research Assistance Desk during scheduled times and respond to in-person, phone and chat requests.
- Participate in ongoing training in as directed by their supervisor.
- Help people get started on their research
- Students may be asked to help with other projects as assigned.
- Deep knowledge of research practices in all disciplines.
- Free library T-shirt!
- Experience working in a library (really great if you’re considering becoming a librarian or working in higher education!).
- Build relationships with library faculty and staff (really we’re the best!).
- Position and research skills look great on your resume.
Fill out the application below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.