The 323rd Ambulance Company was formed in Greenville in 1917 as a Red Cross unit and was later transferred to the regular U.S. Army and attached to the 81st Division.
Veterans of the 323rd Ambulance Company met for a reunion in Greenville as early as 1920. The date of August 23 was chosen for the annual meeting, as it was the date of entrainment from Fort Oglethorpe for service. Officers were elected for the veterans group, and William E. Bomar served as secretary for many years.
In 1963, newspapers accounts indicate that Bomar had published his history of the company’s 46 years through Harper Brothers. At the 46th reunion that year, Bomar gave every company member a copy of the book, and sent copies to families of the deceased.
Bomar as Historian for the Veterans Ambulance Co. 323 wrote this typescript in June 1963. Included is a list of known addresses of living members as well as a list of deceased members. There is a note dated December 1972 indicating that the annual reunion was called off due to infirmity, and handwritten notes indicating living members in 1976 and 1980.